I needed to add my ssh public key to Gitlab. Pretty straight forward generating it using PuttyGen and saving the public and private keys. When I pasted they public key into the dialog in Gitlab and hit “Add key” I got the following error.
The form contains the following errors:
- Key is invalid
- Key should be a single line
- Fingerprint has already been taken
- Fingerprint cannot be generated
I checked the public key and saw that it was not a single line. To correct this I did the following.
- Deleted the “—- BEGIN SSH2 PUBLIC KEY —-” line
- Deleted the “—- END SSH2 PUBLIC KEY —-” line
- Deleted the “Comment: …” line
- Removed all line ends from the generated key
- Added “ssh-rsa ” before the key
- Make sure there is an empty line after the key