This is a collection of Scala resources on the web that helped me on my quest to learn Scala.
Functional Scala series
This is a briljant series on functional Scala by Mario Gleichmann. It is a must read if you are new to Scala and want to gain a quick understanding of the functional aspects of Scala. Well written, funny, concise and very informative. Well worth your time!
- Functions as Objects as Functions
- Comprehending Comprehensions
- High, Higher, Higher Order Functions
- Lambdas and other shortcuts
- Turning Methods into Functions (or WTF is eta expansion?)
- Polymorphic Functions ?!?
- Algebraic Datatypes – Enumerated Types
- Algebraic Datatypes – Sum and Product Types
- Algebraic Datatypes – ‘Sum of Products’ Types
- Pattern Matching – the basics
- Combinatoric Pattern Matching
- Pattern Matching on product types
- Example: A little expression language with algebraic datatypes and pattern matching
- Example Cont.: Expressions, Extensions and Extractors
- Tinkerbell, Frogs and Lists
- List sugarization
- Essential list functions
- Quiz with Lists – common list functions, handcraftet
Functional Programming in Scala
This is a four part post that focusses on the the core concepts of functional programming in Scala. Great as a refresher or to get a quick overview before digging dieper. Maybe not for the novice.
- Functional Programming in Scala – Part 1: Core Concepts
- Functional Programming in Scala – Part 2: Partial Functions and Currying
- Functional Programming in Scala – Part 3: Pattern Matching
- Functional Programming in Scala – Part 4: Evaluation Strategy
- A quick reference of Scala syntactic constructions
- Java developers Scala cheatsheet
- scala.Option Cheat Sheet
- Scala quick reference