Grrrr, just cloned some of my code from Github to my laptop. I initially worked on this code on my desktop. When I tried to compile it in sbt I got the following error
sbt.ResolveException: unresolved dependency: com.typesafe.play#play-json_2.11;2.3.0: not found. It had been a while since I worked on the code so I was puzzled. It turns out there are problems with the Typesafe repository. As a workaround the repository needs to be added as a resolver to the build.sbt file.
resolvers += "Typesafe Maven Repository" at "http://repo.typesafe.com/typesafe/maven-releases/"
After this it compiled nicely. Sweet. Happy coding 🙂